How to join the housing register

Check our allocations policy to see if you are eligible and qualify to join Runnymede's housing register. If so, you can register online at RBC Living and Homes. You should also consider private renting and shared ownership as there is a high demand for social housing in Runnymede.

There is a shortage of social housing so it is only possible to house those considered most in housing need. This is determined by the Council Allocations Scheme. An offer of housing could be either council owned accommodation or accommodation provided by a Housing Association or Registered Provider.

Eligible to join the register

To be considered for social housing, you will first need to be considered 'eligible' to apply. A person subject to immigration control or a person from abroad may be ineligible according to regulations and therefore unable to join the housing register.

To qualify to join the register

To qualify, you will need to demonstrate a 'local connection' to the borough:

  • You or a permanent member of your household live in Runnymede and have done so for the past three consecutive years, or;
  • You or a permanent member of your household are currently employed within Runnymede and have been for the past twelve consecutive months, or;
  • You or a permanent member of your household have been in continuous self-employment for the past twelve consecutive months, where the work is within Runnymede, or;
  • You or a permanent member of your household have a unique/exceptional health or welfare reason to live in Runnymede and have an immediate relative living in Runnymede. The relative must have lived in Runnymede for the past ten consecutive years. This is based on a specific health service which only exists in Runnymede and cannot be accessed elsewhere.

Who can be disqualified from the register

There are also other reasons why you may be unable to join the housing register. We may disqualify someone for the following reasons:

  • If you or anyone in the household earns above the threshold limit (£30,000 or more per year for single/couple households and £50,000 or more per year for family households)
  • If you currently own a property in the UK or abroad or have owned a property within the last five years and chose to leave or dispose of it
  • If you previously held a social housing tenancy but gave it up, without good reason, within the last five years
  • If you have any housing related debt from a current or previous landlord (this could be the council, housing association or a private rented landlord)
  • If you or anyone in the household has engaged in anti-social behaviour
  • If you or anyone in your household has engaged in threats of violence, actual violence, racial abuse, domestic abuse or hate crime
  • If you are found to have given false information or withheld information in relation to your housing register application. This may also lead to prosecution.

Completing the application form

You can complete a 'pre-assessment form' online which will make an assessment as to your eligibility. If you are unable to join, you will be signposted to other housing options.

If you can join the housing register, then you will be prompted to complete the full online form.

Medical Needs

If you or someone in your household has a medical condition or disability, please complete the Medical Self-Assessment Form at the end of the housing register form. You will need to obtain any written, supporting information you would like us to consider.

Assessing your application form

Should you be accepted onto the waiting list, we will place your application into a 'Band', following our assessment of your housing needs. The Band signifies the level of priority given to your application and reflects the chances of you being offered housing.

The Bands are A, B, C1, C2, D1 and D2, with A being the highest priority for re-housing. If your application is placed into band D2 then it is unlikely that you will be offered housing.

Even if your application is placed into a high priority band, you could still be waiting a very long time to be offered housing. Please note, you may never be offered accommodation, depending on the type of housing you need. You should therefore consider privately renting as this could be a much faster way of obtaining suitable accommodation. There is also the option of shared ownership. If you are at risk of becoming homeless, please contact our housing solutions team.

Change in your circumstances

If your circumstances change, you are expected to inform us so that we can re-assess your housing needs. For example, this could be the birth of a child, a partner leaving or joining your household, a change in employment or moving home. You will need to complete an online change of circumstances form to advise us of the change.

If there is a new medical condition or disability for anyone in the household or a change to a condition, then you will need to complete the changes of circumstances form and complete the Medical Self-Assessment Form at the end.

Housing Allocations Policy

For full details, please see our Icon for pdf Housing Allocations Policy [670.27KB].

Contacting us

The Housing Allocations Team, within the Housing Solutions Department, is responsible for managing the housing register and for letting properties.

If you have a query about your application or need help in completing the form, then please contact us by emailing or calling 01932 838383.