Problems with neighbours

You have the right to enjoy your home in peace, quiet and safety. If you are experiencing inconsiderate behaviour from neighbours, there are several steps you can take. If the person causing the nuisance is a council tenant, our tenancy management team can also support you.


If you are able to talk to the person involved, this is the first thing you should try. Discuss the problem with them and see if you can come to an agreement.


If you would like to discuss the problem but don't know how, Mediation North Surrey can help. This is an impartial service where a mediator will listen to everyone's point of view without taking sides. Contact Mediation North Surrey to arrange the service.


Report it

If you are experiencing nuisance from neighbours who are council tenants, we can take a statement from you, either face to face or over the phone. Contact the the Council's Anti Social Behaviour Officer on 01932 425819 or email

We will ask you to keep evidence of the behaviour - you may find these Icon for pdf diary sheets [86.1KB] useful.

Our investigations may include interviewing witnesses, liaising with the police and visiting the person who is causing the problems. We will keep you updated with our investigation and any actions we propose taking. The person causing the nuisance may receive a written warning, or failing that we may consider taking legal action.


The person causing the nuisance is not a council tenant?

You can report the problem to us using our online form. We will contact you for further information and agree the next steps. We take reports of nuisance behaviour very seriously and we may take legal action.


This is the Housing Department's policy on dealing with antisocial behaviour Icon for pdf ASB Policy [156.3KB].