Landlords' responsibilities

As a landlord, you must tell us about any change of circumstances if your tenant claims Housing Benefit. You also have a responsibility to provide us with accurate proof of rent and pay back any overpayments we may have made to you.

If your tenant claims Housing Benefit, we will need proof of the rent they pay you. This is usually a tenancy agreement but could also be a rent book or a letter from you.
As a landlord you have a responsibility to tell us about any change of circumstances if we pay your tenant's Housing Benefit directly to you.
An overpayment is where we've paid you more Housing Benefit than your tenant was entitled to. You must tell us if you notice we have paid you too much and we will normally ask you to pay it back.