Apply for Council Tax Support / Housing Benefit

You should apply for Council Tax Support / Housing Benefit as soon as you think you need help. With the introduction of Universal Credit, Housing Benefit is no longer available to all residents, depending on your circumstances you might need to claim Universal Credit instead. Please click on the 'Universal Credit' link below for further information.

You need to complete the Icon for pdf benefit application form [690.34KB] in full, sign it and include evidence to support your application. You can get a copy of this form from the Civic Centre if you don't have access to a printer.

If you do not have all the evidence asked for on the form, return the form anyway, but you should provide the missing evidence within one calendar month to avoid any loss of benefit.

We will write to you to tell you if you are eligible for Council Tax Support / Housing Benefit and how much you will get. We will also tell you what information we used to work it out. If you think we have used the wrong information, please email

Any entitlement will usually start from the Monday after we received your application form. The first payment should be paid within 14 days of entitlement being calculated.

If you know your circumstances are going to change, you can apply up to 13 weeks before.

In some circumstances we can backdate claims.


If you disagree with our decision on your Council Tax Support / Housing Benefit application you have the right to appeal. You should write to us within one calendar month of the date on your benefit notification letter explaining your reasons for appeal. You should include any supporting evidence that may affect our decision.

Sometimes you can get Housing Benefit for a period before you put in your claim. This is known as backdating.