People disregarded from paying Council Tax

The following groups of people will not be counted for Council Tax, however you will need to apply for the discount and show us evidence where requested.

The easiest way to do this is using our council tax discount form.

A Council Tax bill is usually calculated based on two or more adults over 18 living in a property. If one or more adults are disregarded for Council Tax, leaving only one adult responsible for paying the bill, we will give a discount of 25 per cent.

In some cases the property owner is responsible for paying Council Tax, meaning residents are exempt.

Students and young people in education

  • 18 and 19 year olds in full time education do not need to pay Council Tax until either 1 November (after they leave education) or their 20th birthday, whichever is sooner.
  • Students who attend a university or college course for at least 24 weeks, for an average of 21 hours per week (the disregard applies until the end of the course, not their graduation date).
  • Apprentices who earn less than £195 per week.
  • Young people aged under 25 who are on a youth training scheme, under the Employment and Training Act 1973.

The spouse or dependent of a student who is not a British citizen will be exempt from council tax if immigration rules prevent them from taking paid work or claiming benefits in the UK.

People with severe mental impairment

For the purpose of Council Tax, the definition is: "A person who has a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused) which appears to be permanent."

Your GP will be asked to provide a certificate and you will need to send in evidence of a qualifying benefit such as attendance allowance, incapacity benefit or severe disablement allowance. You can find a comprehensive list of qualifying benefits on the application form.


They must live with the person they're caring for and care for them for at least 35 hours a week on average. The person cared for must be entitled to one of the following state benefits:

  • A higher rate Attendance Allowance
  • The highest or middle rate of the care component of a disability living allowance
  • The appropriately increased rate of disablement pension
  • An increase in a constant attendance allowance.

This discount is not applicable to people caring for someone they live with as a married or unmarried couple (including same-sex couples and civil partners), or a parent caring for a child under 18.

Care Leavers

From 1st April 2020, if you are a care leaver aged under 25 who is paying Council Tax or living with someone who pays Council Tax, we may be able to reduce the amount you pay.

How to tell if you qualify as a Care Leaver

You are deemed to be a Care Leaver if:

  • You are aged under 25.
  • You were previously in local authority care.
  • You are supported by a personal adviser or someone from the Leaving Care Team within any local authority Social Services department.

What will I pay?

  • If you live alone in the property you will have nothing to pay.
  • If you live with other people, all of whom are Care Leavers, you will have nothing to pay.
  • If you live with someone else who is not a Care Leaver the Council Tax bill will be reduced by 25%.
  • If you live with two or more people who are not Care Leavers, no discount is available.

The reduction can only be paid up to your 25th birthday.

How to apply

If you meet the above criteria and with to apply for this Council Tax discount, you can apply using the electronic Icon for pdf application form here. [119.71KB].

Care Workers

They must provide care through a connection with the Crown, a charity or a local authority and:

  • Be employed in that capacity for at least 24 hours a week
  • Be paid no more than £44 per week
  • Live where they give the care.

Members of international headquarters and defence organisations

This means anyone designated under the International Headquarters or Defence Organisation Act 1964 and their dependents.

Members of visiting forces

This means members of visiting forces or certain other international institutions and their dependants, as long as they're not British citizens or don't usually live in the UK.

People with diplomatic privilege or immunity

This means people on whom the Diplomatic Privileges Act 1964, the Commonwealth Secretariat Act 1966 or the Consular Relations Act 1968 confers privileges and immunities - or who are covered by the Commonwealth Countries and Republic of Ireland (Immunities and Privileges) Order 1985.