Do I need planning permission?

If you want to build an extension to your property or do other work to your home you may need to apply for planning permission. Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission. This is known as permitted development.

You can find a list of common projects including case studies and mini-guides on the Planning Portal website.

You will also need to check if permitted development rights have been removed from your property. You can do this via Runnymede's interactive Maps, or for records prior to 1999 you can view the planning history at the Civic Centre. More information on permitted development is available from the Government's Technical Guidance.

Certificate of Proposed Lawful Use or Development

If you want formal (legal) confirmation that your proposal does not require planning permission, you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for proposed use or development.  Please note that the onus with this type of application is on the applicant to submit sufficient precise and unambiguous evidence to justify, on the balance of probability, the grant of a certificate in respect of the relevant parts of the legislation.

You can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate (proposed use) for projects where work has not yet started on site. Please also read the help text (proposed use).

If work has already started, or been completed, you will need to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for an existing use or operation instead. Please also read the help text (existing use).

Please read our Icon for pdf Validation Document [303.39KB] before starting your application. You may also find the Government's Lawful Development Certificates - A User's Guide useful.