Planning advice

Find out if you need planning permission, how to get advice from one of our Planning Officers, information on dropped kerbs, and answers to the most frequently asked questions.

Whether you are applying for planning permission for changes to your home or you are working on a major development, our pre-application advice service is here to help.
If you want to build an extension to your property or do other work to your home you may need to apply for planning permission. Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission. This is known as permitted development.
Frequently asked questions about Planning applications
If you would like to lower the kerb outside your property, you might need to apply for planning permission. Roads classified as A, B or C will need planning permission. Roads classified as D do not normally require planning permission. Please contact Surrey County Council Highways for the classification of your Road.
The Development Management and Technical Administration Teams are responsible for providing first customer contact and giving planning advice, registering and validating planning applications, making recommendations and decisions on planning applications, the investigation of breaches of planning control, the protection of trees and provision of advice, the administration of developer contributions and obligations, and the defence of council decisions in appeal and in court.