Local Land Charges

Information on local searches that are carried out on property or land and how you can submit a search.

You can contact us on land.charges@runnymede.gov.uk

The Local Land Charges Section carries out local searches on property or land. Requests are usually made by a Solicitor who would explain the results to you.

Two sets of forms make up the search - LLC1 and CON29.  The LLC1 deals with information from the Local Land Charges Register.  The Register contains important information about the property which might affect what you can do with it currently or in the future.  It includes significant information such as:

  • Financial charges (registered against the property by the Local Authority or County Council)
  • Planning Agreements
  • Tree Preservation Orders
  • Enforcement Notices
  • Conditional planning consents
  • Improvement grants
  • Buildings of special architectural and historic interest.

The CON29 deals with supplementary information held by the Local Authority.  The information is very comprehensive and provides essential answers about the property, such as:

  • is there going to be a major highway running through the property?
  • is the road in front of the property maintained at public expense or will you have to maintain it?
  • is there a contravention in relation to a building regulation affecting the property?

Please see our current fees and charges further down (current search response times will also be shown within this table). See more information on Personal searches.

All searches come with the statutory protection under the Land Charges legislation and are undertaken by a dedicated and fully experienced team who offer an efficient, friendly and reliable service.

If your enquiry relates to the ownership of land you should contact the Land Registry

Submitting a local authority search

Details of how you can submit a Local Authority Search.

Postal searches/cheques

As far as possible, we are committed to providing all our essential services as usual but, unfortunately due to the current situation with COVID-19,  we will no longer be able to process postal searches with cheques effective immediately. 

We do however have a fully electronic search request service available on our website for you to use. Click on the link below entitled 'Local Land Charges Search - apply and pay' to use this service.

If you have any problems at all please don't hesitate to contact us at land.charges@runnymede.gov.uk. Thank you for your understanding.

Please use our On-Line Search Application service by clicking on this link and select Land Charges - apply and pay.

This service will allow you to specify your search requirements, attach a plan and make payment via Debit/Credit Card (please note, the Land Charges team can no longer take card payments over the phone). It would be appreciated if you could use this method for all your future search requests.

Alternatively, you can apply for a search electronically via National Land Information Service (see information below).

National Land Information Service (NLIS)

  • NLIS is a government initiative which carries the sole mandate of providing electronic official land and property information held by all Local Authorities in England and Wales, as well as other official sources of data, including HMLR, the Coal Authority and water companies.
  • The NLIS Hub acts as a gateway for conveyancers to access land and property information through one of the NLIS Licensed Channels listed below. The NLIS Hub is regulated by Land Data.
  • For further information on how to order NLIS searches visit the website: National Land Information Service (NLIS)
  • Search Flow
  • Thames Water
  • Big Property Data
  • Index Property Information
  • Legalinx

Highways Enquiries

We are no longer the agent for the Highway Authority.  Highways related questions on the search forms are answered by Surrey County Council's Highway Information Team. There is an additional fee for each search and this fee is included in our overall search cost.  The County Council will only answer additional enquiries (i.e. those not printed on the CON forms) if these are submitted direct to them.  Please contact them direct for pricing details by visiting the Surrey County Council  website.

Drainage Enquiries

Thames Water Utilities have responsibility for drainage enquiries.  Please contact them direct for details.

Fees and charges

Please note, Runnymede Borough Council's Con29 charges are inclusive of VAT

Runnymede's fees are:

ServiceCostResponse time
Residential Search  
CON29 (includes SCC highways fee)£190 
Total Residential Search fee£235

Approx. 20 working days

Commercial Search  
Total Commercial Search fee£285Approx. 20 working days
Optional enquiry CON 29O£21 
Additional enquiry - note: we cannot accept additional enquiries relating to highways.  These must be submitted direct to the Highway Authority at Surrey County Council.£42 
Extra taxable assessment/parcel of land  
Search in any one part of the register£11 

Document copying fee (legal agreements, decision notices etc.)

Please note, copies of Planning Decision Notices (determined after 1997) can be downloaded  free of charge on our website by clicking on the link below:

View and object or support an application

Copies of all Planning documents can be obtained by emailing: planning@runnymede.gov.uk, a fee is payable for this service.



(£35 as of

1 April 2021)




Copy search£11 


Please note, our Search fees are not changing as of 1 April 2021, they will remain as shown above.

To apply for a search please use our On-Line Search Application service by clicking on this link and select Land Charges Search - apply and pay.

Please note, that the new version of our service does not allow for uploading plans anymore (this will change later in the year) but does specify, within the search request form, a link to email the plan to land.charges@runnymede.gov.uk.

If you need any help prior to applying for your search online or for any other Land Charges queries please contact a member of the Land Charges team at: land.charges@runnymede.gov.uk

Additional Search fees - if you have requested a search online but need to make further/additional payments (LLC Staff would advise you of this), then please make your payment here.

Request a Copy document - please email Local Land Charges first with the details and to ensure who you need to make the payment to.  If Local Land Charges hold the document  then please make your payment here.

Cancelling a Search

Please be advised that if you wish to cancel a search request prior to us commencing work at all then a full refund can be given. 

However, 50% of the standard search fee monies will need to be retained for cancelled Searches that have outstanding queries/monies etc., as work will have already started on the search.

No refunds will be given at all for searches that have been accepted as valid as these will have already gone through to other Departments for answering.

This cancellation policy takes effect as of 15.7.2019.

A personal search is a search of the Local Land Charges register which you can carry out yourself free of charge at the Civic Centre, Addlestone.