Caravan site information for site owners and operators

Before you apply for a licence you will need to have planning permission for the caravan site.

You don't need a licence to run a caravan site if:

  • forestry workers, builders, travelling showmen or seasonal workers (like fruit pickers) stay in caravans on the site
  • the site is five or more acres and there are three or less caravans there for 28 days or less a year
  • you are a member of an organisation like a caravan club and have a caravan exemption certificate
  • your site is approved by an organisation with a caravan exemption certificate
  • members of an exempted organisation stay in their caravans on the site
  • your site is used for a social get-together of caravan club members (a 'rally').

Licence fee

Fees apply for new applications, transferring licenses and varying a licence. An annual fee also applies, please see our Icon for pdf fees schedule [35.79KB].

You can apply and pay online.

Mobile Homes Act 2013

The introduction of the Mobile Homes Act 2013 made a number of changes to the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 the Mobile Homes Act 1983 and the Caravan Sites Act 1968.  The main changes are:

  • improved enforcement powers for Local Authorities
  • changes to the sales procedure to prevent sale blocking
  • existing park rules will eventually be replaced with a new set of rules, which are to be deposited with the local authority
  • introduction of a specified form to accompany any pitch fee review notice.

The rules for your site

On 3 February 2015 any existing site rules ceased to be effective unless you have undertaken the relevant consultation process and then deposited the rules with us.

More information is available from Park Homes Advice as well as advice for park home site owners.

Register of Site Licences and Site Rules

All site licences and any site rules with have been deposited with us are available to view: Register of Caravan Site Licences, Site Layout Plans and Site Rules