Health and safety - what we do

We enforce health and safety at work regulations throughout the Borough where we are the designated enforcing authority.

We do this at most consumer service industry workplaces such as offices, shops, hotels, restaurants, museums, leisure centres, nurseries, pubs and more where we are the enforcing authority.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is responsible for enforcing health and safety law at most other types of premises including any construction site. If unsure, you can check which enforcing authority on the HSE website.

We carry out our duties through:

  • inspections of high-risk premises
  • advice and guidance
  • responding to complaints and enquiries
  • investigating accidents and following up statutory notifications
  • raising awareness of important issues and promoting compliance with the law.

How do I raise a concern?

The law requires employers and the self-employed to conduct their business to ensure, so far as reasonably practicable, people are not exposed to risks to their health or safety. This includes providing essential welfare facilities for employees.

You can find out what the health and safety law requires by searching the Health and Safety Executive's website. Through the website you can also raise a health and safety concern with the HSE.

If you think an employer is putting your or someone else's safety at risk, you should raise your concerns with that employer or person. If no improvement is made, you can email or call 01932 838383.

What happens after I raise a concern?

After a concern has been raised we will assess the level of risk. Low-risk complaints will not be investigated.

We may ask the employer to investigate your concern or we may look into it ourselves.

We will not investigate complaints in the following circumstances:

  • when you raise a concern anonymously or withhold contact details. This is because we are not able to discuss the information with you or ensure it is not a malicious complaint.
  • when you have not raised the issue with the person responsible for health and safety or your trade union - unless, of course, you have good reason to believe you would be placed in a vulnerable position.
  • when there are no reasonably practicable precautions to deal with the matters that you raised
  • when it is impracticable to pursue your concerns.

We cannot help you get compensation or resolve problems of civil law.

Frequently asked questions

The HSE has produced a list of frequently asked questions for employers and employees, available on their website.

Prosecutions register

Information about individuals or organisations which have been prosecuted for health and safety offences is compiled into annual reports available from the HSE website Prosecutions Report.

For prosecutions in the current financial year, please email