Apply for street naming and numbering

The easiest way to apply and pay for our naming and numbering service is by using our online application form. You can also view our essential service providers.

You can either:

Before you start your application you will need the following information:

  • if you are the owner of the property, a declaration that this is the case, or if you are the owner's agent, a letter or e-mail from the owner confirming this
  • for properties, your list of three names in order of preference
  • for streets, a list of suggested street names.

For new developments we will also need:

  • the approved planning application number (in the format RU.12/1234)
  • location drawings that clearly show plot numbers, existing land and property and the front doors primary access to each plot
  • internal layout plans for a development that is sub-divided into units, showing each unit and its floor level
  • the building regulation number (once available) to show that the work has started.

For new developments you should make your application to us as early as possible.

Once the process has been agreed by Royal Mail, they will enter the addresses of the development on their Not Yet Built database. When the development is complete you should notify Royal Mail of this directly or through us and they will transfer the information onto their Postcode Address File.

We will only process your application when we receive all required information and payment of the correct fee. Please contact us if you are unsure of the correct fee, before submitting your application to avoid delays.

Essential service providers - street name and numbering

Once a new or changed address has been confirmed by Royal Mail, we liaise with the following agencies to inform them of the change so they can amend their records.

  • Runnymede Borough Council's internal departments
  • BT
  • EDF Energy
  • GTC-Utility Network
  • Land Registry
  • Ordnance Survey
  • Local Royal Mail Sorting Office
  • Scotia Gas Network
  • Scottish and Southern Energy
  • South East Coast Ambulance Service
  • Surrey County Council
  • Surrey Fire and Rescue
  • Surrey Highways
  • Surrey Police
  • Valuation Office
  • Virgin Media
  • Wentworth Estate Roads Committee (for properties on Wentworth Estate).

It is your responsibility to inform any other bodies that you think are appropriate.