Personal licences

A personal licence authorises an individual to supply alcohol, or authorise the supply of alcohol, at premises that already hold a premises licence. It is issued by the Council covering the area where the applicant lives.

Details of those holding a personal licence with Runnymede are contained in  Icon for pdf Public Register Personal Licence Holders [231.06KB]

Personal Licences are 'portable' between premises throughout England and Wales, allowing the licence holder to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol for consumption on or off any premises with a Premises Licence.

Personal licences are valid for an unlimited period of time, however you must still inform the local authority who issued the personal licence of any change of name or address.

Who can apply for a Personal Licence?

Any individual can apply for a Personal Licence if they:

  • are aged 18 or over;
  • have a relevant licensing qualification or is a person of a prescribed description under the Licensing Act;
  • have not forfeited a Personal Licence in the previous five years;
  • have not been convicted of a relevant offence;
  • do not already hold a Personal Licence, or have applied for one, with any licensing authority; and
  • have the right to work in the UK. As part of its efforts to support those who conduct right-to-work checks, including employers and Licensing Authorities, the Home Office has developed the online right-to-work checking service, which makes right-to-work checks simpler and more secure. The service enables UK employers and Licensing Authorities to check the current right to work, in real time, of a person who holds either a biometric residence permit (BRP) or a biometric residence card (BRC), or who holds online immigration status issued under the EU Settlement Scheme, and to see whether they are subject to any restrictions. It does this by linking to Home Office data.

    The system works on the basis of the individual first viewing their own Home Office right-to-work record. They may then share this information with the Licensing Authority if they wish, by providing the 'share code' issued to them by the online service. By entering the share code and the applicant's date of birth, the Licensing Authority will be able to access the individual's current right-to-work details. This includes the date of expiry, if the individual's right to work is time limited, and any work-related conditions. The online right to work checking service is available at

Relevant offences are the offences listed in Schedule 4 to the Licensing Act 2003. The meaning of foreign offence is dealt with in section 113 of the Licensing Act 2003.

Tacit consent does not apply to Personal Licences so you must receive your licence before you are authorised to supply alcohol.

Apply for a personal licence

Step one

All applicants must obtain a licensing qualification. Please do this first.

Step two

Obtain a Disclosure and Barring Service basic disclosure check from the GOV.UK website. Please note - when submitted with your application this certificate must not be dated more than 28 days from the date of submission.

If you have any unspent convictions for a relevant or foreign offence the Licensing Authority must inform Police who will decide if they want to object to the application. If they do, a hearing will take place before the Licensing Committee, to decide whether the licence will be granted.

Step three

Complete a Icon for pdf disclosure of convictions form [78.64KB].

Step four

Provide two photographs. One must be endorsed as a true likeness by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification.

Step five

Complete a personal licence application.

Step six

Contact the licensing section to pay the fee (£37) we will give you details on how to make a payment, once payment is made you can submit the application along with the forms/qualification/photos required (step 1 - 4). 

Change of details

If you already have a licence, you must also tell us about any name or address changes. There is a £10.50 admin charge for this. For further information, please email or call 01932 425711.