The Council welcomes activities such as busking that enhance the street scene and provide good quality entertainment to the public.

The Live Music Act 2012 exempted most forms of busking from the need to be licensed and we no longer issue busking licences. However, if you are busking for a charity you may need a street collection permit or a house to house collections licence. Our Charity collections page explains more.

Please read the Icon for pdf Busking and Street Entertainment Guidance Notes [49.73KB]. We ask buskers to follow the voluntary code of conduct to avoid causing problems for residents and businesses.

Some forms of street entertainment, for example a theatrical performance, are defined as 'regulated entertainment' under the Licensing Act 2003 and you might need a licence. Please email licensing@runnymede.gov.uk for more information about regulated entertainment.

'We are asking all buskers that have not already done so to cease activities to comply with PHE guidance on social distancing and avoiding going out except for essential reasons.  Licences that have been granted to buskers for charity can, subject to availability, be moved to a future date. That new date will be confirmed upon receipt and consideration of such a request.  No new applications will be granted until further notice.  Please note that we have no licensed buskers in the borough.

For further guidance, please check the regular updates provided by Central Government and the Charity Commission:


And the Fundraising Regulator:

Covid 19 Guidance