Debt recovery action

If the invoice remains unpaid after a final reminder has been sent we will take recovery action by using one or more of the following methods:

Bailiff action

  • Deductions from a DWP benefit (Housing Benefit overpayments only)
  • Removal of credit from rent or council tax accounts
  • Direct Earnings Attachments (Housing Benefit overpayments only)
  • Legal action by obtaining a County Court Judgment (CCJ), then
    • Attachment of earnings
    • Third party debt order
    • Charging order
    • Issuing warrants of execution against any savings or goods
    • Applying for bankruptcy

Direct earnings attachment

These are new powers granted to Local Authorities from April 2013 which allow the recovery of Housing Benefit overpayments from debtor's salaries without have to obtain a County Court Judgement (CCJ) first.

Requests are sent out for the employers details and failure to supply these can lead to a criminal conviction and a fine of up to £1,000.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon