Council Tax Support

Council Tax support can help pay your Council Tax bill.

You cannot get Council Tax Support if you are:

  • of working age and have more than £10,000 in savings (£16,000 for those in the vulnerable group)
  • of working age and live in a property in Band F, G or H
  • of pension age and have more than £16,000 in savings, unless you receive guaranteed Pension Credit

You can use entitledto's free calculator to find out how much benefit you might be able to claim. You should be aware though that this is only an estimate and could be different from your actual award. 

You may also be able to claim Universal Credit if you're claiming Council Tax Support.


Apply for Council Tax Support by downloading the claim form

When claiming Council Tax Support you can also claim Housing Benefit if applicable.

Apply for Council Tax Support


You will need to provide evidence to support your application before we can make a decision. The sooner you provide the information the faster a decision will be made.

You can provide the evidence by:

  • e-mail to
  • post (Benefits, Civic Centre, Station Road, Addlestone, KT15 2AH)
  • in person at the Civic Centre

We will make a decision as soon as possible once you have provided all the evidence to support your application.

If you have claimed from us before, then you can sign up for an online account to be notified as soon as a decision is made.


Examples of evidence of identity include:

  • birth certificate
  • passport
  • driving licence
  • marriage certificate
  • National Insurance card
  • medical card
  • UK Residence permit
  • EEC identity card
  • recent gas or electricity bill

We may need to see a number of these documents for each person

National Insurance number

Examples of evidence of National Insurance number include:

  • National Insurance card
  • payslips
  • letters from the Department of Work and Pensions or the tax office

Capital, savings and investments

Examples of evidence of capital, savings and investments include:

  • all your bank, building society or post office books
  • full bank statements
  • certificates for premium bonds
  • National Savings Certificates
  • TESSAs
  • ISAs
  • stocks and shares
  • bonds
  • unit trusts

We need to see evidence of any interest or dividends you get on investments and savings.

We need to see this evidence for any children in your household as well.

The evidence you send must show details of at least the last two months.


We need to see your last five payslips if you are paid every week, the last three if you are paid every two weeks, or your last two if your are paid monthly.

If you or your partner are self-employed we need to see your accounts for the last financial year, or if you have been trading for less than six months, a summary of your trading records so far.

If you cannot get wage slips, we might contact your employer to confirm details.

Other income

Examples of evidence of other income include:

  • pension slips from a former employer
  • a letter from the court showing how much maintenance you are getting

We need to see evidence of any money people pay you for board and lodgings.

Benefits, allowances or pensions

Examples of evidence of benefits, allowances or pensions include:

  • current award notices
  • letters from the Department of Work and Pensions or the tax office confirming how much you get

If you do not have evidence, let us know straight away.

Other money paid out

Examples of evidence of money paid out include:

  • letters about student grants or maintenance 
  • agreements or receipts from registered child carers

Receiving payments

We apply your Council Tax Support to your Council Tax account. This means that your Council Tax bill will show the reduced amount that you have to pay.

Your Council Tax bill is issued at the start of each financial year (1 April). If there are any changes in your circumstances within the year, you will need to let us know as soon as possible.