Report a change

If you currently receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, you need to tell us straight away about any change that could affect how much benefit you get.

If you delay telling us about a change:

  • you may lose out on extra benefit 
  • we may pay you too much and you'll have to pay it back

Below are examples of changes you would need to tell us about:

  • if your earnings change - like working overtime
  • if anyone moves in or out of your home
  • if your pension increases
  • if your rent increases
  • if your savings increase to above £6,000
  • if you have been, or are about to be, temporarily absent from your home

The list above does not include every change you need to tell us about. If you are unsure, tell us anyway.

You need to have a live claim to be able to report a change. If you do not have a live claim, you'll have to make a new one.

Report a change

You can tell us in an e-mail or by telephone. We may ask you to provide evidence or further information. When sending an e-mail please state your claim number in the subject title. As well as your name and claim number, you will also need to tell us either your:

  • address
  • date of birth
  • National Insurance Number

You can report a change by e-mail to


We will need to see evidence of the change before we can make a decision. The sooner you provide the information the quicker a decision will be made.

The easiest way to provide evidence is by e-mail to

You need to include your:

  • claim reference number
  • name
  • address