Can I ask for personal information about myself?

Under Article 15 of the General Data Protection Regulation, everyone has the right to request and, subject to exemptions, receive copies of their records. This is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR). It may be made either verbally or in writing.

Please note that, should you make a request (either verbally or in writing), we will undertake checks to confirm your identity. In the first instance we will ask you to send us a copy of an identity document (such as a passport or driving licence) and to confirm your current address (using a recent utility bill or similar for example).
If you have changed your name during the period your request covers (for example you have married), proof of your name change should also be provided.
There is no fee for a SAR, but charges may apply if a large volume of printed material is required. You will be informed of any charges before we respond to your request.

You are entitled to:

  • ask whether we hold any information about you
  • ask for what purpose we hold the information
  • the names of any organisations your information has been shared with
  • ask for a copy of the information
  • have any inaccurate information corrected

How do I make a Subject Access Request (SAR)

If you making a request for someone else's personal data, please do not use this guidance and instead, scroll use the link found in the "Helpful Links" section.
If you are making a SAR for your own data, please continue using this guidance.
The easiest way to make a SAR is to send us an email. However, you can also send us a request by post.

What do I need to include in my SAR

We'll require the following from you:

Personal Details

1.    Full Name
2.    Current Residential Address

What is Sought

1.    Details of what information you would like
2.    Over what time period

Identification, Address and Name Change

Please attach copies of:
1.    An identity document,
2.    Proof of your current address and if relevant,
3.    Evidence of any name change(s)

How to send us your SAR

You can email it to, or post it to: Information Governance Officer, Runnymede Borough Council, Civic Centre, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 2AH.

Please note that incomplete applications will delay your SAR.

What happens next

On receipt of your SAR, we will send you an acknowledgement. Unless we need to undertake additional checks, we will supply what is sought within a month. We will contact you should we require more time or additional information.

How will we contact you

Unless advised to the contrary, we will reply using the same mode of communication that you used to contact us.
Please note if we post you what is sought we will do so using recorded / signed for delivery.

Contacting us

If you have any further queries, please email or write to the Information Governance Officer using the above contact details.

Helpful links

Freedom of Information

Another person