Community Safety

We collect and process personal data relating to reports of anti-social behaviour and crime in order to prevent and detect this type of behaviour occurring, by working with partner organisations. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use that data and meet our data protection obligations.

What information do we collect?

We collect and process a range of information.

If you contact us to report a concern this will include;

  • Your name, address and contact details including email address and phone number
  • Details of any incident you were a witness or victim to

If you are an alleged perpetrator of crime or anti-social behaviour this may include;

  • Your name and address
  • Date of birth, place of birth, nationality, gender and marriage status
  • Payment card details and transactional data including payments from you
  • Criminal convictions or criminal behaviour
  • Immigration status
  • Medical conditions and health information
  • Your picture

The organisation collects this information in a variety of ways. For example, via online forms and/or partnership working with other public authorities and partners.

Why do we process personal data?

We have a duty to help prevent and reduce anti-social behaviour and crime. Therefore processing your information is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of our official authority.

Sensitive personal data is processed because it is a necessary function conferred on us by an enactment or rule of law or because we have a duty to prevent or detect an unlawful act.

Who has access to data?

Your information may be shared with the parties set out below for the purposes stated above.

  • Police
  • Other Runnymede Borough Council departments including Housing, Safer Runnymede and Environmental Health
  • Surrey County Council
  • Housing associations
  • Community Harm and Risk Management (CHARM)
  • Joint Action Group (JAG)
  • Other local authorities including local planning authorities

We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our processors to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions and data protection laws. They are also obliged to implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure the security of data.

The organisation will not transfer your data to countries outside the European Economic Area.

How do we protect data?

We take the security of your data seriously. The organisation has internal policies and controls in place to try to ensure that your data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed, and is not accessed except by its employees in the performance of their duties. Data will only be processed by members of staff authorised by us for this purpose. Access to our systems is limited to members of the Community Safety team whose job role requires access to the personal data.

For how long do we keep data?

We only keep data in relation to JAG or CHARM for as long as a case is ongoing.

All other information is kept for 6 years in line with our record retention policy.

Your rights

As a data subject, you have a number of rights. You can:

  • access and obtain a copy of your data on request (known as a subject access request)
  • require us to change incorrect or incomplete data
  • ask us to delete or stop processing your data, for example where the data is no longer necessary for the purposes of processing. Where possible we will seek to comply with your request, but we may be required to hold or process information to comply with a legal requirement.
  • object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances. We may still be required to hold or process information if there are legitimate grounds for doing so.

You can make a subject access request by following the instructions for making a subject access request.

To contact us about any of your other data protection rights, please contact the Data Protection Officer.

If you believe that Runnymede Borough Council has not complied with your data protection rights, you should initially contact our Data Protection Officer and if dissatisfied with the outcome you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner. You can find out further information on making a complaint to the Information Commissioner on their website