Please find details of local Councillors here

As an elected Councillor within the borough of Runnymede I am the data controller accountable for the processing of personal information in connection with requests received from constituents. This means I need to collect your personal data so that I can process your request for assistance or respond to your enquiry. I will only collect the personal data from you that I need in order to provide you with relevant information, services or support.

What information is collected?

When you ask for my help and assistance I will need to collect some information from you.

This will generally include personal information such as your name, address and contact information together with details of your problem or concern.

Depending on the nature of your concern I may be required to process sensitive information (known as 'special category' data such as information about your health, racial or ethnic origins etc.). However, it will only be necessary to collect this type of information where it is of relevance to the request you are making.

What is the legal basis to process personal data?

The legal bases relied on for processing personal information in relation to responding to requests from constituents is:

consent of the constituent making the request (or any other relevant persons where this is appropriate)

necessity in pursuit of my legitimate interests as an elected representative and those of my constituent and it is assessed that these interests override any privacy intrusion involved in processing personal data about other individuals

Furthermore, the additional lawful basis for processing of special category data is substantial public interest.

Who will your information be shared with?

As a Councillor, I may need to pass your personal details and the circumstances of your query / complaint to Council Officers in order to allow the Council to look into the issue. I may also need to share your personal details with other Councillors.

I will not pass personal details of constituents who contact me to anyone else unless I am required to do so by law, in connection with a criminal investigation or there is a legitimate reason to do so.

If you have contacted me about a personal or policy issue, I may pass your personal data on to a third-party in the course of dealing with your request or query, such as local authorities, government agencies, public bodies, health trusts and regulators. Any third parties with whom I may share your data are obliged to keep your details securely, and to only use your data for purposes already communicated to you.

In any event, I will not use your personal data in a way that goes beyond your reasonable expectations in contacting me.

If you specifically ask me not to disclose information identifying you to other third parties it is necessary for me to contact, I will try to respect that. However, please be aware that it may not be possible to progress a matter for you on an anonymous basis.

How is your data protected?

Reasonable security measures will be taken to ensure that personal information within my control is protected from accidental loss or alteration, inappropriate access, misuse or theft.

For how long will your data be kept?

I will process your personal data until I have resolved your issue and store electronic data and paper records for a period of three years. This is to allow me to build up case history and to return to your records when further matters arise.

Your rights

As a data subject, you have a number of rights. You can:

  • access and obtain a copy of your data on request (known as a subject access request)
  • require us to change incorrect or incomplete data
  • ask us to delete or stop processing your data, for example where the data is no longer necessary for the purposes of processing. Where possible we will seek to comply with your request, but we may be required to hold or process information to comply with a legal requirement.
  • object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances. We may still be required to hold or process information if there are legitimate grounds for doing so.

If you wish to engage any of these rights, including a subject access request, please contact me directly.

If you believe that I have not complied with your data protection rights, you should initially contact me to discuss this and if dissatisfied with the outcome you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner. You can find out further information on making a complaint to the Information Commissioner on their website.