Additional information on joining the housing register and obtaining social housing.

Can I apply to housing associations to go on their registers?

We work in partnership with a number of housing associations operating in the area. The council has nomination rights to most housing association properties in the borough and nominates applicants from the housing register to any vacancies. The housing associations don't tend to hold their own registers and rely mostly on council nominations. In effect by applying to the housing register you are applying for both council and housing association properties.

Do I need to renew my application each year?

Yes, once a year. Normally on the anniversary of your application you will be sent a declaration form, which you must complete and return within 28 days. If you fail to return the form, we will cancel your application. Please note it is the applicant's responsibility to renew their housing application, therefore we would recommend that you note the anniversary date of your application as a memorable date to ensure you do not miss renewing your housing application.

How do I know if I have been accepted onto the housing register?

You will receive a email/letter confirming that you have been accepted onto the housing register. This will tell you the band you have been placed within, the date your application has been registered from and the size of property you are eligible for.

How long will I have to wait to be housed?

The demand for social housing outweighs the supply of available homes and therefore the Housing Register is not a quick route into housing.  We receive over 1000 applications per year from households applying for the waiting list, with on average only 220 properties to let each year.

It is therefore not possible to give an accurate prediction on the length of time someone may be required to wait for social housing as the wait will also depend on the bedroom size and household needs of each case.

What documents will I need to provide?

All applications will be required to provide:

  • proof of identity for all household members (for example, passports, birth certificates)
  • a proof of current address (for example, a recent utility bill)
  • evidence of your right to reside in the UK if you are not a British citizen (for example, a passport and other relevant Home Office documentation)

You may also need to provide some or all of the following, depending on your circumstances and housing history:

  • proof that you no longer own, or have a financial interest in, a property in the UK or abroad
  • proof of how you disposed of any equity you may have received from the sale of a property
  • proof that you do not owe money to a current or previous landlord, or if you do have a debt that you have an arrangement to repay it that you are adhering to
  • proof of your employment connection to the borough
  • proof of your family connection to the borough
  • proof that you are no longer the tenant of another social landlord
  • evidence of any household medical needs

Can I request a review of a decision?

Yes, you are able to request a review for the majority of decisions made on your application.  For example you are able to request a review the decision whether to accept or reject your application.  You are able to request a review of the banding you have been awarded and you are able to request a review of the suitability of an offer of accommodation.

If you wish to request a review you should contact the housing allocations team stating your reasons for requesting a review. This must be within 21 days of the date you received the decision. You may provide additional information in writing that you wish to be taken into account when the review is carried out.