We collect and process personal data relating to our Cemeteries and interments (burials), in order to meet our responsibilities. We are committed to being transparent about how we collect and use that data and meet our data protection obligations.

What information do we collect?

We collect and process a range of information about you. This includes:

  • Full Name(s), Address, Email Address, Telephone Number
  • Information on all application forms submitted to the Cemeteries Office - Interment, Memorial, Transfer of Exclusive Right of Burial, Statutory Declaration, Renunciation & Pre - purchase.
  • Receipts for payments

Why do we process personal data?

There is a legal obligation/requirement to hold a register of all interments (burials) Local Authorities Cemetery Order 1977, which require Runnymede Borough Council to record the data/information of all grave owner(s), so that they may give their  permission for further interments (burials) to take place in the grave(s) that they own, which is a legal requirement. The grave owner must also give their permission for any memorial work to be carried out on their grave(s) and we need to have the grave owner details should we need to contact them regarding a memorial that has become unsafe within the Cemetery, so that the grave owner can rectify this.

Who has access to your data?

Where necessary your information will be shared with the parties set out below for the purposes stated above.

  • Other departments within Runnymede Borough Council, such as the Finance Department and Customer Services.

In some instances, it may be necessary to share information with the Police, for example where they are investigating a crime. However, we will only disclose information that is required for their investigation.

We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions and data protection laws. They are also obliged to implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure the security of data.

We will not transfer your data to countries outside the European Economic Area.

How do we protect your data?

We take the security of your data seriously. The organisation has internal policies and controls in place to try to ensure that your data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused, or disclosed, and is not accessed except by its employees in the performance of their duties. Data will only be processed by members of staff authorised by us for this purpose. Access to our systems is limited to members of the team whose job role requires access to the personal data.

How long do we keep your data?

We keep your data for as long as is necessary, for Exclusive Rights of Burial this could be for a period of a 150 years.

Your rights

As a data subject, you have a number of rights. You can:

  • access and obtain a copy of your data on request (known as a subject access request)
  • require us to change incorrect or incomplete data
  • ask us to delete or stop processing your data, for example where the data is no longer necessary for the purposes of processing. Where possible we will seek to comply with your request, but we may be required to hold or process information to comply with a legal requirement.
  • object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances. We may still be required to hold or process information if there are legitimate grounds for doing so.

You can make a subject access request by following the instructions for making a subject access request.

To contact us about any of your other data protection rights, please contact the Data Protection Officer.

 If you believe that Runnymede Borough Council has not complied with your data protection rights, you should initially contact our Data Protection Officer and if dissatisfied with the outcome you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner. You can find out further information on making a complaint to the Information Commissioner.