Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Food safety

Registering a food business, Eat Out Eat Well Award, food hygiene, health certificates.

  • Food complaints

    No matter how good a manufacturer or supplier of food is, there will be times when something goes wrong and the food sold is not acceptable to the customer. This guide will help you take the most suitable action.

  • Food Hygiene Rating Scheme

    Find out if your local food business has a good hygiene rating.

  • Food poisoning

    We investigate cases of suspected food poisoning where we have sufficient information.

  • Register a food business

    By law you must register your food business at least 28 days before you start operating, or less than 28 days after you make a significant change. If a new company starts operating at an existing food premises in our area it must also register.

  • Good Food Hygiene is Good Business

    Have you had a recent inspection and received a food-hygiene rating you wish to improve?

  • Food Safety for Home Bakers

    As a home baker who makes and sells cakes to the public there are certain legal requirements you must comply with to ensure that home-made goods are produced, stored and transported hygienically and will be safe to eat.

  • Safer Food Better Baking

    Safer Food Better Baking was originally produced by Braintree District Council. It is based on Safer Food Better Business and is aimed at helping home cake makers comply with the legal requirement to have a documented food safety management system.

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.