Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Animal Welfare

Stray dogs and animal licensing

  • Stray dogs

    You can contact our dog collection service if you have found a stray dog, or if you have lost a dog.

  • Foxes

    Fox populations are relatively stable and self regulating according to the availability of habitat and food. Foxes are classed as wild animals, not pests, and the Council has no statutory powers or legal rights to eradicate foxes on private or other land.

  • Animal boarding licence

    An animal boarding establishment is a business that provides accommodation for other people's dogs or cats.

  • Dog breeding licence

    If you breed dogs to sell you may need a dog breeding establishment licence depending on the number of dogs and litters.

  • Horse riding establishment licence

    A licence is required if your business hires out horses or ponies for riding, or operates a riding school.

  • Pet shop licence

    To run a business selling pet animals online or in a shop you will need a licence. Pet animals includes any vertebrate animals - fish, amphibian, reptile, bird or mammal.

  • Zoo licensing

    You'll need a zoo licence to display wild animals to the public for at least seven days a year, in any place that's not a circus or pet shop.

  • Dog Control Public Space Protection Order (PSPO)

    As of the 23 January 2017 a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) in relation to dog control has taken effect across the Runnymede area and replaced a number of out of date by-laws to create a more comprehensive and consistent approach when dealing with issues such as dog fouling, keeping dogs on leads and excluding dogs from specified areas.

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.