Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Register to vote

Your name must be on the Electoral Register before you can vote in local and national referendums.

Registering to vote is straightforward.

  1. You can register to vote online.
  2. Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You will also need your National Insurance number, which can be found on your National Insurance card, or in official paperwork, such as pay-slips, or letters about benefits or tax credits.
  3. Look out for confirmation from Runnymede Borough Council to say you are registered.

Find out more by visiting GOV.UK's Register to vote page.

If you are a member of the British Armed Services, you can now choose whether to register as a service voter or as a civilian (ordinary elector).

If you are a British Citizen living outside the United Kingdom, and you satisfy certain conditions, you may register as an overseas elector to vote at Parliamentary and European Parliamentary elections in the UK. You will be unable to vote at Local Elections.

Moving house

You must remember to update your details on the Electoral Register when you change address. Registering to pay Council Tax does not mean you have also registered to vote at your new address.

The Electoral and Open (formerly 'Edited') Registers

The Electoral Register lists everyone who is entitled to vote and can be inspected under supervision at the Civic Centre. It is republished annually but you can apply to be added to the register and be added at any time.

By law, only certain people and organisations can have copies of the Electoral Register, and they can only use it for specified purposes. These include electoral purposes, the prevention and detection of crime and checking your identity when you have applied for credit. A list of people and purposes is given in the The Representation of the People (England and Wales) (Description of Electoral Registers and Amendment) Regulations 2013.

The Open Register leaves out the names and addresses of people who have asked for them to be excluded from that version of the register. This version can be bought by anyone who asks for a copy and they may use it for any purpose.

Even if you are excluded from the Open Register, you will still be listed in the full register.

Anonymous registration

If you feel that adding your name to the Electoral Register would have serious safety implications for you and other members of your household, you can apply for anonymous registration. Please contact Electoral Services for more information.

Once you are registered, find out How to vote at an election.

Rate the quality of this content from 1 star (poor) to 5 (excellent)

Rate this page:

rate this item 1 starrate this item 2 starsrate this item 3 starsrate this item 4 starsrate this item 5 starsCurrent ratings

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.