If you are unemployed or on a low income you may be able to claim benefits. Housing Benefit can help towards your rent. Council Tax Support can help you pay your Council Tax bill. With the introduction of Universal Credit, Housing Benefit is no longer available to all residents, depending on your circumstances you might need to claim Universal Credit instead.

An overpayment is where we've paid you (or your landlord) more benefit than you were entitled to.
If you think that your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support decision is wrong then you can ask us to look at it again and review it.
Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) can provide extra money when you need extra help to meet your housing costs, such as rent. We will look at your circumstances to see whether you are eligible for a DHP. Then decide whether to give you a DHP, how much you will be paid and for how long you will receive the payment.
We might have sent you a form or you are considering completing a claim for Housing Benefit and or Council Tax Support. These notes explain some of the terms in the forms.