Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Council Tax

Council Tax is a way of paying for services, such as libraries and schools, emergency services such as police and the fire service, street lighting and rubbish collection.

  • Who has to pay Council Tax

    You will be sent a Council Tax bill when you first move into your property and then at the beginning of each new Council Tax year starting 1st April. All the main residents of the household are responsible for paying the bill.

  • Pay your Council Tax

    The easiest way to pay your Council Tax is by Direct Debit, but you can also pay online.

  • Discounts and exemptions

    Find out if you are eligible for a reduction in your Council Tax bill or if your property is exempt.

  • Bandings and charges

    The amount of Council Tax you pay depends on your property's band.

  • Student households annual review - apply online

    Every year we ask student households to re-submit their application for council tax exemption. You can do this online.

  • Help paying your Council Tax

    If you have a low income we may be able to help pay your Council Tax.

  • Moving house

    If you are changing address please let us know for Council Tax purposes.

  • Contacting us about Council Tax

    If you have any general enquiries about Council Tax you can contact our Council Tax Team.

Rate the quality of this content from 1 star (poor) to 5 (excellent)

Rate this page:

rate this item 1 starrate this item 2 starsrate this item 3 starsrate this item 4 starsrate this item 5 starsCurrent ratings

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.