Planning enforcement

The Council has a statutory duty to investigate planning enforcement complaints, but has sole discretion as to whether to instigate formal enforcement action in each case.

This can be:

  • an unauthorised built development (new buildings, extensions and alterations to existing buildings, etc.)
  • unauthorised land uses (unacceptable uses in the Green Belt, businesses running from homes, etc.)
  • building works not in accordance with approved plans
  • breaches of planning conditions
  • illegal works to protected trees and listed buildings
  • illegal advertisements
  • illegal gypsy/traveller incursions
  • neglected land and property that is an eyesore

How do I make use of Runnymede Borough Council's Planning Enforcement service?

You are welcome to ask us to investigate anything that you think is a breach of planning control. Please use the Planning Enforcement form. It is important that you give us as much information as possible so that we can be effective in our investigation, we would therefore encourage to you first look at rMaps, our interactive mapping system, to see what, if any planning permissions have been granted at the site you are concerned with.

Our Planning Enforcement Charter explains the role of the Council's Planning Enforcement team.

Read the Icon for pdf Planning Enforcement charter [170.16KB]

Planning Enforcement Form.
Planning Enforcement: Frequently Asked Questions.
This page provides details of Enforcement Notices that have been issued by the Local Planning Authority since 2005.
As a local authority we have been given powers to consider complaints about high hedges. Involving the Council should be a last resort and you should first seek to resolve any problems yourself.