If you believe someone has committed fraud or given false information for an application for housing or to obtain a discount or exemption from Council Tax (including Council Tax Support) or Business Rates, or you wish to report a fraud against the Council of any other nature, you should report it as soon as possible.
Our Corporate Fraud Investigator deals with fraud committed against the Council, in particular:
- Housing fraud - including false homeless applications, fraudulent housing and Right To Buy applications, non-residency and subletting.
- Council Tax discounts - including Council Tax Support, single person discount, student discount and disability exemption.
- Business Rates avoidance/evasion.
To report any type of fraud or suspicious activity, you can email email@example.com or call 01932 832821 / 01932 425376.
Housing Benefit fraud is no longer investigated by councils and should be reported to the Department for Work and Pensions by:
- going to the GOV.UK website
- calling the free and confidential National Benefit Hotline on 0800 854 440
- using the text phone service on 0800 328 0512, if you have speech or hearing problems
- post to NBFH, PO Box 224 Preston, PR1 1GP
Runnymede is part of the Surrey Counter Fraud Partnership, working together with seven other district/borough councils in Surrey and the County Council to combat fraud. We share data and match information for the purpose of prevention, detection, investigation and, where appropriate, the prosecution of fraud and the recovery of debts created by fraudulent activity. We can prosecute under various Acts of Parliament including, the Fraud Act, the Prevention of Social Housing Fraud Act and the Theft Acts.